Monday, January 4, 2010

Driving along the Coast

This is a continued post from my San Francisco trip in 2005. Another nice thing about this area of California is it on the coast. You can literally drive along the coast and see a stretch of beautiful unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean.




On this day, we had some beautiful grey clouds. It was one of those days where a huge storm was coming in.




There are many look out points where you can just pull over and take in the ocean and listen to the waves coming in. Some areas like the one coming up has a place for you to walk down to the sand and take a leisure stroll.




This camper had the right idea. Front view ocean views and the rent is free. This is something I want to try one day. Rent an RV or air stream and just drive it along the coast from California to Oregon to Washington and then back down.



There are nice light house stations you would not expect to see. This looks like a picture from a book. It is very serene looking.




The roads do literally wind around the coast and sometimes curves in and out along the cliffs.



This is no big deal if you are not afraid of heights. I am afraid of heights, but I try to keep my eyes on the road to avoid the spaghetti legs feeling.




Must keep my eyes on the road. Must forget about how high that bridge is, but why are we still going up. Lol.



This next picture has a weird sign. If you look on both sides there is just a hill and the ocean. There are no houses in this area so I am not sure where these cross walkers on PCH will come from in the next 1500 feet.



The next 2 shots are just direct views of the Pacific Ocean. All these pictures were taken by my wife. I was doing the driving.




I am a bit surprise at how clear they are considering I was probably driving at about 55 miles per hour.



Eventually, we took a break and walked along the sand on one of these isolated beaches. I must admit this place is absolutely wonderful.



This next shot is a zoom in view of the background. I wish we had taken more pictures back then. This was our first digital camera so the capacity was small. Unlike today, our latest digital camera can hold about 1200 pictures on one sd card. Now that is amazing.




Here is another picture of the same bay on the other side. Look at all those seagulls just lined up at the bottom. In the far background, there are some really old homes with some wonderful ocean views. If you click on the picture, then you will see it in the larger picture.



This next picture is some sort of dried up seaweed. It is freaky looking isn't it. The texture does look amazing. It almost looks like dried noodles to me. Just add water and boil for 5 minutes. LOL.



If you haven't done it before, then I would recommend taking a drive along the coast. Especially, if you are not on a schedule. That way you can enjoy everything at a leisurely pace.


These are the last ocean shots before we go back into the city.



I have to admit, this next picture my wife took is spectacular and I wouldn't mind framing it. It is a beautiful shot that captures the mood of the day. Peaceful, cold and cloudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment